Mains'l recognizes the rights of the individuals who choose our services; we value their opinions and welcome and encourage their input. Every person who receives service is encouraged to voice complaints and to recommend changes to Mains'l policies, procedures or services to any agency personnel or others of their choice without restraint, interference, coercion, discrimination, or punishment. 


Upon request, Mains’l staff will provide assistance to the person receiving services and or their authorized representative with the complaint process. This assistance will include the name, address, and telephone number of outside agencies to assist the person and responding to the complaint in such a manner that the person’s concerns are resolved.



For the purpose of this policy and procedure, the word grievance means an official statement of a complaint over something believed to be wrong or unfair. When a person applying for or receiving services from Mains'l wishes to submit a complaint or grievance the following procedure is available:


1.   The person or their legal representative who wishes to file the complaint must provide a written account of the complaint to the Mains’l manager.  Once the written complaint is received, the manager notifies the senior manager. 


2.   All complaints involving health and safety concerns must receive an initial response by the end of the next business day; all other complaints receive an initial response within 14 calendar days.


3. Every attempt is made by the manager and senior manager to resolve the complaint with the person and/or legal representative.

  • The director is involved as needed to reach resolution.


4.  All complaints are expected to be resolved within (30) thirty calendar days of the manager receiving the written complaint. 

  • If this is not possible, the manager documents the reason for the delay and communicates to the person who filed the complaint the reason and a plan for resolution. 


5.   If the grievance cannot be resolved by the manager and senior manager the person may bring the grievance to the highest authority in the program:


      Minnesota                                                                   California

      Anne Roehl, Director of Services MN                        Anne Silcher, Director of Services CA

      7000 78th Ave N                                                          40 Landing Circle Suite 1

      Brooklyn Park, MN 55445                                          Chico, CA  95973

      Office: 763-494-4553                                                 Office:  530-899-1907 ext.3

      Toll Free: 800-441-6525                                             Toll Free:  888-899-4588

      Fax: 763-416-9120                                                     Fax:  530-899-1996



Legal Authority: Minn. Stat. § 245D.10, subd. 2 and 4

  California Lanterman Act Section 4502 and Title 17 Section 50510

6. Once a complaint is received, the manager and senior manager complete a complaint review. The complaint review will include an evaluation of whether:

  1. related policy and procedures were followed;
  2. related policy and procedures were adequate;
  3. there is a need for additional staff training;
  4. the complaint is similar to past complaints with the persons, staff, or services involved; and
  5. there is a need for corrective action by Mains’l to protect the health and safety of persons receiving services.


  1. Based on this review, the manager and senior manager must develop, document, and implement a corrective action plan designed to correct current lapses and prevent future lapses in performance by staff or Mains’l, if any.


  1. The senior manager will provide a written summary of the complaint and a notice of the complaint resolution to the person and case manager that:
    1. identifies the nature of the complaint and the date it was received;
    2. includes the results of the complaint review; and
    3. identifies the complaint resolution, including any corrective action.


  1. The complaint summary and resolution notice are maintained in the person’s record.


  1. At any time, the person who has the grievance may call, visit, or email an external agency to assist with making a complaint. Some resources include:




ARC – Minnesota                                          

770 Transfer Road Suite 7A                          

     St. Paul, MN  55114                                     Toll-Free:  1-800-582-5256                            





Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid

430 1st Ave. North, Suite #300

Minneapolis, MN  55401

TDD: 612-334-5755

E-mail: none




Office of the Ombudsman for Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities

121 7th Place E, Suite 420

Metro Square Building

St. Paul, MN  55101

Metro:  651-757-1800

Toll-Free:  1-800-657-3506



Minnesota Department of Human Services

PO Box 64967

St Paul, MN 55164-0967

Phone: 651-431-2600







Area 2 Developmental Disabilities Board

1367 East Lassen Avenue, Suite B-3

Chico, CA  95973

(530) 895-4027



Office of Clients’ Rights Advocacy

Kimberlee Candela

1280 East 9th St. Unit E

Chico, CA 95928

(530) 345-4113


Internal Controls: